Tuesday, April 20, 2010

4 things that inspire me and my work in visual art

Hip hop -Since first emerging in the South Bronx, hip hop culture has spread around the world is a cultural movement that started in the working class suburbs of New York City, in the late 1970s. It can be outlined with the five pillars of hip-hop culture: MCing, DJing, Breaking, Graffiti writing, and knowledge. Another part of Hip Hop Culture includes beat boxing, hip hop fashion, hip hop fashion, and slang. I guess I’m drawn to Hip Hop culture cause I’ve grown up with a mixture Samoan, western and popular music. It’s a huge influence on me as a person, because music (for me) is a release. It lets me express myself physically and emotionally. When I’m dancing, it’s like I’m apart of something else. Something that is bigger than me, which I can contribute to and make friends with. Hip Hop culture is a global.

Samoan Tattooing- The Pe'a is the popular name of the traditional male tattoo of Samoa; the Pe’a covers the body from waist to knees. The process for the Pe’a is extremely painful, and undertaken by Tufuga ta tatau (master tattooists), using handmade tools of bone, tusks, turtle shell and wood. The Tufuga ta tatau are revered masters in Samoan society. In Samoan custom, a Pe’a is only done the traditional way, with aspects of cultural ceremony and ritual, and not with European tools or needles. The Pe’a can take less than a week to complete or in some cases, years. The tattoo starts on the back and finishes on the belly button. Overall, the design is symmetrical with a pattern consisting mainly of straight lines and larger blocks of dark cover, usually around the thighs. Samoan males with a Pe’a are called soga'imiti and are respected for their courage. This is my heritage and my culture; I guess I’m drawn to it because it’s like a step into being an adult or like a man in my culture. So it’s something that I see myself doing when I get older, you know like taking the step into being seen as a man by my family.

Michael Joseph Jackson- (August 29, 1958 – June 25, 2009) was an American singer-songwriter, dancer, actor, choreographer, businessman, philanthropist and record producer. He was known as the King of Pop, he is recognized as the most successful entertainer of all time while also being regarded as one of the most influential people in the world. His contributions to music, dance and fashion and a much-publicized personal life made him a global figure in popular culture popular for over four decades. As a dancer, Michael Jackson (for me) is the greatest entertainer of all time; he’s had hundreds of sold out concerts, made a difference and been an influence for millions. He’s gotten to a level that entertainers spend their entire life’s trying to achieve.

Andy Warhol- was an American painter, printmaker, and filmmaker who was a leading figure in the art movement Pop Art. After a successful career as a illustrator, Warhol became famous worldwide for his work as a painter,filmmaker, record producer, author and as a public figure. I guess I like Andy Warhol because of his influence on Pop Culture, kinda like Michael jackon’s. Because he was able to change things and his use of colours is great. I like bold and bright colours, i dunno why i just am. Maybe its something thats carried on from being a small child but I like the contrast of the bold black outline against the bright colours in his prints.

1 comment:

  1. Great, thanks Samson, good to see you getting passionate about some things you really care about!

    Hopefully all these things will find a reflection in your studio practice.

    TX

    ReplyDelete